Kendall Kingscott acted as Architects to contractor Halsall, providing detailed design for this scheme to create two, three bedroom homes for affordable housing provider Alliance Homes to meet the stringent requirements of Code for Sustainable Homes Level 6 and are also be fully Lifetime Homes compliant.
Constructed on the site of a former garage, the cedar clad, semi-detached homes are orientated to maximise the benefit of their south facing position and the design utilises a number of key features to achieve its high sustainability credentials including;
- Specification of sustainable materials from the Green Guide
- Careful detailing and execution to achieve high levels of air tightness and eliminate cold bridging
- A heat recovery ventilation system
- On site energy generation through photovoltaic panels providing electricity and solar thermal hot water
- Efficient internal water fitting and appliances to minimise water consumption
The project was named Winner in the Best Social or Affordable New Housing Development at the 2014 West of England LABC Awards.